Rocco Gizzarelli, M.S.W., R.S.W.
Rocco Gizzarelli is a trained social worker with over 32 years’ experience working with children, youth and families to address issues of violence in relationships. One of his specialties is in the area of sexual abuse treatment and assessment of individuals who have committed a sexual offense. Rocco also has extensive experience working with trauma and men who are adult survivors of sexual abuse/assault.
Rocco has won accolades for his clinical experience serving the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, Indigenous, Racialized and Immigrant communities.
Rocco has held sessional teaching positions at McMaster University and has 36 years of work experience in child welfare.
Rocco Gizzarelli is an active member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, College of Social Workers and several other organizations working towards ending violence in our community.
I have participated and continue to participate in professional development opportunities. Areas of developed competencies include:
- Public Sector Leadership Institute, Rotman Executive Programs, University of Toronto, Toronto
- Leadership and Management Development Program, Schulich School of Business
- Assessment and treatment of sexual abusers both adult and adolescent (men and women)
- Sexual and Pornography Addiction
- Clinical work with individuals, groups, couples and families
- Addictions and Mental Health
- Family Violence
- Clinical Supervision
- Emotional Intelligence
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW)
- Clinical Member of the Association for the Treatment and Prevention of Sexual Abuse (ATSA)
- Offer workshops/presentations on assessment and treatment of sexual offenders and sexual abuse.
- Facilitates groups related to treating sexual offenders
- Provide consultation services to professionals with respect to sexual abuse.
Kristen Lwin, Ahiney Laryea, Hillary Walker, Christine Elgie, Sarah Head & Rocco Gizzarelli (2022): Evidence-Informed Decision-Making Training in Child Welfare: Evaluation of a Proof of Concept, Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work.
OP-ED, The Hamilton Spectator, February 9, 2018, Making Ontario Safer for Teens and Kids.
OP-ED, The Hamilton Spectator, October 31, 2018, Hamilton CCAS Celebrates 65 Years.
Chaplin, J., Ion, A., Sinding, C., Dumbrill, G., Gizzarelli, R., Penney, S., Wright, K., Jones, N., Perkins, A., Robertson, S. (2019, June). Preparing for Critical Practice in Child Welfare: A Collaborative Justice-Focused Educational Program Towards Transformation in Child Welfare.
Co-Author, Child Welfare Collaboration with the Hamilton Health Team: Transformative Service Delivery. OACAS Journal, Fall 2012, Volume 57, Number 2.
Co-Author, An Analysis of the Children in Care Standards and the Relevant Foster Care Licensing Regulations in Achieving Better Outcomes for Children. Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies, July 2010.
Gizzarelli, R., Working with Sexual Offenders – Impact of the Work. OASW Journal June 2003.
Gizzarelli, R., and Hanson, K., The Attitudes of Incest Offenders: Sexual Entitlement and Acceptance of Sex with Children. Journal of Criminal Justice and Behavior, June 1994.
Sworn in as an Expert Witness in both Criminal and Family Court in the area of treatment and assessment of offenders and child welfare.
- 2022 Diocesan Medal of Honor, Diocese of Hamilton
- 2019 Festitalia Italian Heritage Award for Community Development and Social Inclusion
- 2019 Leader for Kids, Community Child Abuse Council
- 2003 Recipient – Hamilton OASW Branch Outstanding Social Work Award
- 1998 Recipient – Recognition Award for Field Placement of Students, McMaster University
- 1996 & 1994 Recipient – Recognition and Commitment Award, Child Abuse Council of Hamilton