Rocco Gizzarelli is a trained social worker with over 29 years’ experience. Rocco has worked with individuals, couples and families address issues of conflict and violence in relationships. One of my specialities is in the area of sexual abuse treatment both offender and male survivors. An area of speciality that I have been trained in is sex offender assessment and treatment. A number of static and dynamic risk assessment tools are used in conjunction with clinical judgement. Rocco Gizzarelli is an active member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, College of Social Workers and several other organizations working towards ending violence in our community.
Rocco Gizzarelli , M.S.W., R.S.W.
- Masters of Social Worker degree
- Registered Social Worker
- Sessional Instructor with the School of Social Work, McMaster University
- Over 25 years’ experience in a variety of settings: EAP Counselling, family therapy, individual counselling, administration and child welfare
I have participated and continue to participate in professional development opportunities. Areas of developed competencies include:
- Personal leadership development training
- Assessment and treatment of sexual abusers both adult and adolescent (men and women)
- Clinical work with individuals, groups, couples and families
- Addictions and Mental Health
- Family Violence
- Clinical Supervision
- Emotional Intelligence
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Ontario Association of Social Workers
- Clinical Member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
- Offers workshops/presentations on assessment and treatment of sexual offenders and sexual abuse.
- Facilitates groups related to treating sexual offenders
- Sessional Instructor McMaster School of Social Work
- Field Instructor McMaster University School of Social Work and Niagara University, Niagara Falls, New York.
- Teaching Assistant, School of Social Work – McMaster University, Hamilton
The Attitudes of Incest Offenders: Sexual Entitlement and Acceptance of Sex with Children. Workshop for the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Portland, Oregon. October 1992.
Gizzarelli, R., and Hanson, K., The Attitudes of Incest Offenders: Sexual Entitlement and Acceptance of Sex with Children. Journal of Criminal Justice and Behavior, June 1994.
Gizzarelli, R., Working with Sexual Offenders – Impact of the Work. OASW Journal June 2003.
I have been sworn in as an Expert Witness in both Criminal Court and Unified Family Court in the area of treatment and assessment of offenders and child welfare.
Recipient of the Hamilton OASW Branch Outstanding Social Work Award – 2003
Recipient of the Recognition Award, Child Abuse Council of Hamilton – 1994
Recipient of the Recognition and Commitment Award, Child Abuse Council of Hamilton – 1996
Recipient of the Recognition Award for Field Placement of Students, McMaster University – 1998